Saturday, November 19, 2011

Have you learned your lesson?

James asked me a question the other day that left me pondering...(whether or not to punch him in the face)...

"Have you learned your lesson?"

The question was aimed at me status-post operation procrastination, in which case I was left writing a 10 page paper, a power point presentation, and another paper over last weekend.  I had just turned in everything in a state of near-hyperventilation at approximately 11:54 p.m...they were due at midnight.  I may or may not have known about them the entire semester.  I work better under pressure... 

  

The question sparked a series of musings over past events in my life (not just with procrastination) that ultimately led me to a single conclusion.  Allow me to illustrate.

1.  Resting my eyes.  I frequently lay down "just for a minute" and don't set my alarm because I'm just "resting my eyes."  I usually wake up in a state of panic, late for [insert anything here], and berate myself on the way for failing to remember that this is a re-occurring event in my life.  I thought this time would be different...



2.  Getting a gym membership.  I asked James to up our gym membership in September to "family" so that I could start going to the gym again.  I cancelled back in May because I was going to school, and possibly because I never went.  Whatever.  I've been 4 times...in two months...that breaks it down to, what, $7.50 a visit?  I'll make it worth it this time, I promise...

3.  Passing gas in public.  Just "letting one slip" is never a good idea.  No one else is in this aisle...yet.

4.  Buying Gushers.  I got a box of Gushers tonight.  I can control myself...  They're gone.

5.  Picking my face.  I have gone to dermatologists to solve my adult acne problem, despite the fact that I know it's self-inflicted.  I think I see something there...won't go away unless I help it...

6.  Putting on jeans that were wadded up on the floor.  I have clothes (clean and dirty) all over my bedroom floor...including jeans that may or may not have underwear or socks still inside them.  If anyone ever sees something sticking out of the bottom of my jeans, just let it be.  Hopefully, next time, it will fall out somewhere I'll never encounter it and I'll be none the wiser.  It's happened to me twice...in public (that I know about).  I'm in a hurry!  These are definitely clean...

7.  Online shopping.  I can't be stopped.  I'll just browse...

 

8.  Buying cucumbers.  I throw away 2 rotten cucumbers approximately 3 weeks after I buy them, every time.  Oooo, cucumbers.  I love cucumbers...

Have I sufficiently illustrated my point?  Trust me, I have more examples.  But I think I can say, with confidence, that No.  I have not learned my lesson.  Recognizing the problem is the first step, right? 

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Surely do love your blog Dana. You really should be a writer in my opinion. I look forward to all your updates and your crazy opinions. Kudoes to you for studying and getting your Master's.

Dana said...

Thanks, Kathy! I'm pretty sure I'm not creative enough to be a real writer - but I'm glad you enjoy my ramblings. :)

Chelsea Tippetts said...

So. Funny. I love your posts :)