Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Plug

I am currently teaching Yoga in Lovell, and would love it if more people would come. :) Therefore, I am going to dedicate this post to the wonderfulness that is Yoga. Ahem.

I was a member of 24-hour fitness in Denver, and randomly decided to take a yoga class. I had done a couple of videos, but that was the extent of my knowledge about yoga (Denise Austen kind of scares me). I was actually a little nervous about doing a group exercise class, but quickly got over it once I was in there. 3 classes later, I decided that I really wanted to teach it. Why? Because I knew I was moving to Wyoming and that it is pretty much not offered here in Lovell - I wanted to be able to continue either on my own or offer it to people here. (Yes, that is me, smiling cheesily in the back row during my YogaFit level 1 training)


I got certified through YogaFit - a company that is designed to "bring yoga to the masses." The classes are organized just like a group exercise class would be at any gym with a warm-up, then a work phase, then a cool-down. The method is supported by current exercise science research - they taught me how to teach proper alignment, what poses are appropriate for each phase, etc. It is a safe, effective way to teach yoga - and I can promise you, there is nothing to be scared about. I have had people ranging in age from 20-70 in my classes - I always teach a modified version first, then progress into a more challenging form of the pose for those who wish to try so that people at all levels can be in one class.



What's so special about yoga? (I love asking and answering my own questions, in case you haven't noticed...) Well, for one, I love it. I feel more relaxed and stress-free after doing it (it's actually proven to decrease stress levels - I'm not making this up); I have noticed a considerable difference in the strength of my entire body, as yoga focuses on creating balance in our bodies (I really hate lifting weights...just sayin'); it also focuses on balance, flexibility, and endurance. Basically, it's awesome. I literally have had people tell me that they no longer are taking sleeping pills to help them sleep; they don't clench their jaw at night anymore; they think I'm the best yoga teacher in the world!!! (yes, I'm making that last one up). Ahem. But yes, lots of bennies from yoga. (I promise I won't make you do what the lady in the pic is doing, well, ever.)

I teach Monday and Wednesday nights from 8-9 at the dance studio on main street...I have heard some people say that they would come if it was at a different time. I have no job, people. I'm easy. Tell me when you want to come, and I will try to accommodate your wishes. I'd even be willing to throw in another class, maybe on Saturdays...I've thought about offering two Saturdays a month for people who just want to try it for free. As of right now, the price is basically $4/class. The rec center is offering punch passes - $80 for 20 punches; however, I think I may have her change that to maybe 11 punches for $40 or 22 punches for $80 - throw in a few freebies. Of course, I actually have a boss so I need to speak with her first. But the punch passes last as long as you want them to. Some people just come once a week, others come twice. Others just randomly show up whenever they want. A 20 punch pass will last you 2 and a half months if you go every time. I have dropped $80 in one night by going to a stinking jewelry party or a pampered chef party...just sayin.' ;)

I think I have talked myself to death, so I shall say farewell for now. I feel I have successfully "plugged" in enough info, and more (I tend to be verbose), to hopefully get some people interested. Let me know if you have any questions! Hopefully I'll see some of you there! Namaste! Hee.

12 comments:

Brittany H. said...

At the end of my one and only formal yoga class, she did the "lay-down-and-relax-every-body-part-one-at-a-time" and I totally fell asleep. Must have worked! Had to have a friend wake me up. Good luck with your class--I would take it if I were there!

KH said...

You are for sure the best yoga instructor I have ever had! I would totally be there if it wasn't an eight hour drive.

Bagleys said...

I got a prenatal yoga dvd from someone at church! wee! :)

Kalli said...

Maybe you should offer flexibility training in the Kama Sutra discipline. I bet people would sign up then.

Kathy said...

I'll think about it. Is your Mom taking your class? If she is, I suppose she could just pick me up and we could stay in the back and watch you cute young things do your stuff, huh?
Hugs...

Dana said...

Thanks, ladies! :) I know most of the people that read this blog don't even live here, but just thought I'd throw this out there for the few that do. And Kalli, you're making me blush. ;)
Kathy - no my mom hasn't...maybe it's about time! And the ages in there vary quite a bit so you'll fit right in! ;)

Kathy said...

If you can convince Peg to go, I will too - just have her give me a call. There are days I can hardly walk up the stairs so I am in great need of your talents. Maybe you should consider a "Gramma class" or something - you know - 40and over class (quit laughing). There is nothing that makes your Mom happier than being with her grandbabies, or myself for that matter. Talk to Margaret for me please.

Greg Becky said...

Ok, Ok, So you pulled my arm hard enough. I promise I will be back....eventually!

Kim said...

I'll come if you promise not to make me look too bad! I dropped out of zumba so I should do something

Dana said...

Haha! Deal, Kim. I promise I will instruct you to the best of my ability. And Kathy - I actually would really consider doing a "gramma class" as you put it, if I had a few people that would do it...hmmm...I will look into it because that would be very beneficial. I could actually teach it earlier in the day for sure as well.

Peggy Fowler said...

Dana...would I have to wear those stretchy tight-y figure-hugging things that you wear? You, of course, look amazing in them. I, of course, could cause people to split a gut laughing...and that would NOT help your yoga class:)

danielandjamaica said...

not sure I know you... but it seems everyone else I know does... so a friend of theirs is a friend of mine. Especially a yogi! I will definatly come to one of your classes if I ever find myself in Lovell for an overnighter! (chances are there will be NOTHING else going on):)