Monday, December 1, 2008

I had one job...

I teach the 5-year old Sunday school class.  This is my second time around...apparently, I didn't get it right the first time.  Actually, I've been in Primary since I got married.  I've done Activity Days, played the piano, taught CTR 5, and the 7-year olds (can't remember what they're called at this moment in time...)  I love Primary...well, most of the time.  During the few weeks that I did have off when we first moved into Parker, before they called me back, I was able to attend Relief Society.  And, amazingly enough, I did miss the Primary.  I didn't think I would...but, after all, there's no singing about Snowmen or Popcorn Popping in Relief Society.  There's no kids climbing in my lap or refusing to to do what I tell them to.  I don't get to color pictures of Jesus or play Hang Man (sometimes I forget 4 year-olds can't read).  However, there is one time of the year that I am anxious to get over with in the Primary.  It's called The Primary Program.  Yeah, you know the one.  When kids from the ages of 3-11 are expected to sit (quietly, mind you) for 2 hours while we get them ready for the program, week after torturous week.  Sorry, but even I cannot sit quietly for two hours...or 5 minutes...hmm...maybe I'm not the best example...
So there I was, fulfilling my duty as a Primary teacher...the kids in my class were to speak their part, then come over to me and get a picture to hold up.  It went something like this...the 1st child held a picture of Jesus.  The 2nd child held an arrow that said "Tells;" the 3rd child held a picture of the Prophet; the 4th child held another arrow with "Tells" on it.  And last, was just "Us."  So, basically, it was saying: Jesus tells the Prophet, the Prophet tells us (explaining how revelation works, right?)  We were flawless.  I was so proud of my kids.  One of the girls holding an arrow was holding it straight up and was wiggling around, but I figured that just livened up the program. There were a few laughs from the crowd, which I assumed were aimed at her.  

After church, when we got home, I asked James..."So how was the Primary Program?  Was it alright?"  To which he replied, "Good, except you had the Prophet telling Jesus what to do."  

I had one job..............looks like I might have to teach the 5 year-olds for the rest of my life.

7 comments:

Brittany H. said...

I have only been in primary once (in the presidency) and we had ONE kid. It was awkward, but playing games was so easy. Luckily, we moved suddenly and I was only in there for a month. That's our solution for callings we don't want!

PS--your posts crack me up

Lauren said...

That is really funny. Since we had our primary program in September, I forget that some wards are just having theirs. I know what you mean about RS being boring. Since I'm the new Primary Pres, the handbook says NO HANGMAN. :)

Carrie said...

That is really funny!!

Anonymous said...

So funny, Dana! I love the picture, too. Oh, well...at least it was memorable. LOL
Mom

Bagleys said...

PAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAA!!!! That's hilarious. Way to go...

Kalli Ko said...

the primary program is my favorite sunday of the year for that exact reason!

Renae and Keith said...

Your stories are always so funny!!